Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Believe

I have always been taught to pray in particular situations, if I had a need, or just to give thanks, I never really knew the meaning of this however until I had an indirect experience relating to prayer. I was still just a child, at a very tender age, when my beliefs were shaped by this life changing event.
When she was yet a little girl, my sister had various experiences with epilepsy. She would suffer attacks that would cause various abnormal reactions. This was very alarming to my family and I, and we hardly knew how to handle this type of situation when they arose. The only thing we were really able to do was take her to the doctors; it seemed however, as if they were also struggling with the same problem of how to handle the situation, because when we did take her to the hospital, the doctors could neither find the cause of the problem, nor give a solution to the problem. This went on for quite some time before she was finally referred to a clinic. The doctors there offered to give her a particular type of medication that might have helped, but warned that it had serious side effects, some of which included; hairs growing all over her body and also her teeth growing above her gum. This was not exactly music to a mother in despair. My mom decided that this was not a medicine that she wanted for her daughter, because the side effects seemed to pose even more life threatening problems than the illness itself, therefore she left without taking it.
With hardly anything left to do, my mother decided that she would Seek God. After leaving the clinic, my mother took my sister to our church and gathered a few people to pray for my sister. They formed a circle with my sister in the middle and started praying for her, they prayed strongly for her health and also that she would not have to take the medication. They prayed for what seemed like a very long time. After leaving the church that night, it was neither necessary for my sister to return to the doctor or for her to take the medication, because my sister never again experienced the seizure attacks. Until this day, in her early stage of womanhood she has never experienced another attack and there is no trace of illness found in her.
This event changed my belief forever, I now believe in the power of prayer. Because of this situation, I now make prayer an important part of my life. Whenever I struggle with a problem, or get entangled in a particular situation, I pray. I pray without having a particular motive in mind. This keeps me in a more serene mood and state of mind. When things around me seem to crumble, I find myself in a state of peace on my knees or quietly bowing my head, because I believe that by praying, many mountains can be removed. I believe in the power of prayer.

3 comments:

k_ropa89 said...

WOOOOW!!THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY! your essay really makes me think about me when i was like 15 years old. i had a problem with my body also and the same way that they did to your sis they did to me and now am the healthiest person. also i can say that that was the way i realize that God can do everything no matter how big it is. and am really happy that you know that to.
congrats i think your essay its perfect.
it really touch me.

k_ropa89 said...

i dont know if u got my first comment but i love your essay!

dr.mason said...

You have a clearly identified belief here, and a story that ties in well to this belief.

What I think would most improve this essay is in cutting down on language that tells the read things they can learn in more interesting ways. For instance, we're told manythings about your family, sister, and yourself, but never really see it happening. We are told that there are exchanges between your family and the doctors, but we never hear their voices. Your sister's epilepsy is desriobed as "varios experiences" and as "various abnormal reactions." This seems to really underemphasize the seriousness of these events, making your family's alarm seem less meaningful.

I like how your closing expands upon your belief rather than just restating it.